Tuesday, May 12, 2009

First e-mail from the mission field

Dear Family,
Hey sounds like things are going good around home. I can't believe that it is already Christmastime. I wish I could have played in the Turkey bowl. I am glad to hear that Ryan got to contribute a little bit. It sounds like I wont recognize him when I get back. Ryan, you have to earn the right to wear my cut off shirts though. Work on the pose, and by the way I am a stud. That is a shame that Utah lost again. That sounds like a pretty funny controversy over the BYU receivers statement. I am glad to hear West Virginia is doing well. Sounds like you all had a nice Thanksgiving. Too bad there were no good movies out but that is why its important to have a nice home entertainment system. Its weird to hear about all of these other people leaving and returning from their missions. That must stink that Alex is just leaving the MTC. I am sorry to say I didn't send your Christmas package this week but I will send it soon so it gets to you in time.
Well this week went by fast for me too. I am really learning to speak Zulu. It has clicks in it but the language is not a difficult one. I can great people and ask some questions and other things already. Its funny though because no white people here know Zulu so when you greet someone they are very surprised and start speaking very fast so you have to tell them you can't understand that well. The people in the townships will usually listen and are pretty nice but most of them mix Christianity with their old ways of praying to ancestors and stuff, or they believe in the law of Moses. Which is pretty silly because they have the New Testament right in front of them. Anyways its not a big deal because most people don't know their bibles very well and get confused easily when they try to contend with us. I have been learning a lot doctrine wise here as well as how the Church functions. I get up early so that I can have extra personal study time. I have finished the Book of Mormon once, and I have just finished Jesus the Christ too. Personal study is one of my favorite things about mission. Oh yeah my companion reminds me of Michael Scott because he can get a little over the top sometimes and he doesn't sweat the small stuff. He also has terrible reading and spelling skills but he is a good teacher and missionary anyways. I also bought a weight set from an elder who is leaving at the end of the transfer so I can get lifting again. That same elder got pistol whipped and he and his companion had their bikes stolen so he will probably go home with some stitches in his head. I don't know when our investigators will come around, hopefully we will have a few baptisms early next year. It takes time for people to repent and change here but once they do they have very strong testimonies. Today for P day we had a zone activity instead of soccer. we went paint balling at a course in Richards Bay, I have some pictures I will load on photobucket, and next week I will load some of our thanksgiving lunch. Thanks for taking the time to email me and thanks for your prayers. I am really glad the you are getting your patriarchal blessing Spencer and I wish I could be there. Thanks for all of your prayers and support keep the updates coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment